A-Roid offered a deal to avoid a lifetime ban

Aglets

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/22924166/report-arod-offered-deal-to-sit-out-1314-avoid-lifetime-ban

The deal is if he sits out for all of this season AND the 2014 season, he could return in '15. This way he loses some money but could still earn his (considerable) salary in 15-17.

Or if he wants to fight apparently MLB is considering going for the PERMABAN and he could lose everything.

What would you do if you were him?

Now, assuming that you were trying to think rationally when making that decision, what do you think the REAL a-rod will do?

I think A-Rod will gamble on himself and lose.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't see him not playing for two full years because by the time he'd come back he'd be 40, or about to turn 40. He's pretty much screwed no matter what path he chooses, at this point hang it up and call it a career.

Is it wrong that I so want the Yankee's to have a 60 million 40+ year old player on their roster?

From the article, it sounds like he is going to fight any suspension or deal, so this will probably drag on for quite a while yet.

I can't see him not playing for two full years because by the time he'd come back he'd be 40, or about to turn 40. He's pretty much screwed no matter what path he chooses, at this point hang it up and call it a career.

I wouldn't call taking the 2 year suspension & then coming back to finish out his remaining contract for $60 million exactly being screwed (if so sign me up). Personally I hope he does fight it & drags it out as long as possible. If it's one thing the Yankees don't have enough of, it's more distractions.

I wouldn't call taking the 2 year suspension & then coming back to finish out his remaining contract for $60 million exactly being screwed (if so sign me up). Personally I hope he does fight it & drags it out as long as possible. If it's one thing the Yankees don't have enough of, it's more distractions.

I think he is saying he is screwed because his career (ability to play) will be essentially over with the time off and the age, not the money. I wonder if he would be allowed to play independent ball somewhere to keep himself fresh or the AFL or something like that....

I think he is saying he is screwed because his career (ability to play) will be essentially over with the time off and the age, not the money. I wonder if he would be allowed to play independent ball somewhere to keep himself fresh or the AFL or something like that....

Oh I agree that he won't be able to play anymore also, but he has a lot of guaranteed money coming back to him when he would return. That alone would be proper incentive to anyone else. He's not going to avoid a suspension though, so if he were smart he would accept the deal. But seeing how this is A Rod, I don't think he accepts it either.

Again, I hope he does fight it just purely to be an annoyance to them.

If he were to be suspended for the next year and a half, I could see the Yankees coming to an agreement with him to buy out his final years.

If he were to be suspended for the next year and a half, I could see the Yankees coming to an agreement with him to buy out his final years.

Why would ARod agree to that? Everyone got mad at Roberts for not retiring when he was hurt. Why would ARod give up 60 million dollars knowing full well no one would ever touch him again with a 50 foot pole?

Why would ARod agree to that? Everyone got mad at Roberts for not retiring when he was hurt. Why would ARod give up 60 million dollars knowing full well no one would ever touch him again with a 50 foot pole?

I didn't say retire. I said buy-out. Maybe the Yankees throw him $10M extra to spread it out over 10 years.

Is it wrong that I so want the Yankee's to have a 60 million 40+ year old player on their roster?

Not wrong, but IMO the morally correct response.

So, I'm assuming that the Yanks don't have to pay him while he's suspended? So that means their 2014 payroll just went down by $30M and they're virtually guaranteed to get under the luxury tax threshold and/or be able to add tons of new commitments? Or am I missing something here?

So, I'm assuming that the Yanks don't have to pay him while he's suspended? So that means their 2014 payroll just went down by $30M and they're virtually guaranteed to get under the luxury tax threshold and/or be able to add tons of new commitments? Or am I missing something here?

I think they still have to pay the salary, but it doesn't go to the player. I'm not sure where it will go, though.

I think you're correct in all of the facts, but the big catch is that A-Rod hasn't accepted this 'offer' yet and I don't believe his ego will allow him to.

I think this is going to get much more ugly. Of course, if he does get banned for longer then the Yanks will save even more money unfortunately.

I think they still have to pay the salary, but it doesn't go to the player. I'm not sure where it will go, though.

Drungo is unfortunately correct.

For MLB to be trying this they must have the Players Union on their side, at least when it comes to Arod. To bypass the first two layers of punishment, I don't care for it from a procedural standpoint.

Archived